Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"teacher, i don't feel good"

When Billy asked for a drink of water I thought he was trying to get out of finishing his worksheet, so I told him to wait until we were through.

Little did I know that seconds later, once he returned to his seat, he would erupt in a violent
episode of vomiting.
Bless his little heart. He was so pale and icky looking. Vomit was everywhere.

All over him. All over his desk. All over his white board. All in his desk. All over his journal. All over the journal of the little girl that sits across from him. You get the idea.

This isn't my first experience with vomiting children. Remember this?

However, this class didn't really know the routine. So as some wandered over to check out the damage and other's ducked for cover inside their shirts and sweatshirts I had 2 thoughts:

1) Give that little boy a rub on the back, look him in the eyes, and tell him everyone gets sick sometimes and even though some of the other children are pointing and saying "EWWW"...he's doing awesome.

2) Find the nearest human size bio-hazard bag, wrap him up, and send him shuffling down to the nurses office.

I chose #1, partly because that's what I truly wanted to do, and partly because throwing up in 1st grade {in front of your class} is bad enough, let enough having to be wrapped up in a large bright red bag.

The whole ordeal lasted probably 15mins., but it felt more like an hour -- with pictures plastered in my mind to last a lifetime.

The next part takes this post to a whole new level. Please continue.

I was subbing as a floater today, so I went from room to room around the school. I spent less than 30mins in each room.

About an hour later, I was in another classroom. A very cute little girl came up to me and told me that she didn't feel well and would have to go to the nurse before lunch {apparently she had already visited the nurse that morning.}

I thought about little Billy.

Several minutes after that, she came up to me rubbing her belly and said she didn't feel good...then made the "pre-throw up face." You mom's out there definitely know "the face" when you see it.

Before I could blink I was holding the trash can and out it came.

Bless her little heart.

When it was all said and done she looked at me and said, "I feel a lot better!" I'm sure she did...that's why I had her high tail it to the nurse {carrying the trash can!}

Just another day in 1st grade!

GAG.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

I don't know Erin. I never had this many kids throw-up in a short span of time! You already know the throw-up face! Funny stories- and I'm sure the teachers were glad you were there to deal with this and not them!

Erin and Ryan said...

I guess I'm just that lucky! The teachers could use the break...I don't mind :0)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...