Thursday, January 9, 2014

new kitchen backsplash

We've lived in our house a few years now. 

I knew when we bought it, that we Ryan would add a kitchen tile backsplash and under cabinet lighting when we he had time :0) It wasn't on the top of the "to do" list and it wasn't on the bottom.

Well....with a little push and a few days off work.....Ryan had time!! 

I just LOVE how it turned out! I did my job {picking out the tile} pretty well and he did his job {installing} exceptionally well! 

Before #1
 Before #2
And after!
 Subway tile, accent tile, & accent border tile 
 
Here is a close-up of the accent tile and bronze border.
 The subway tiles were originally 12"x12" {from Home Depot} and Ryan cut them all in half. They were the right color and right $$, so it was worth the extra work!
 The accent tile matched our New Venetian Gold granite perfectly! It took a while to find an accent tile I liked. We bought a bunch and nothing was grabbing my attention....I didn't want to just settle. It was a pretty exciting night when we found this! It came in 12"x12" squares from Lowe's - they were easily cut {with scissors} into strips 3 tiles wide/high. 

I think the bronze border adds the perfect little extra touch! It breaks up the subway & accent tile a bit, without being heavy or too much bronze. It was also our big splurge - those little pieces are expensive {also from Lowe's}! 
Another favorite is the under cabinet lighting! Ryan gave me a few different kinds to chose from and I opted for the warm LED flexible rope light. He even installed a converter and light switch with a dimmer :)

I was worried the lights would look very LED-ish and they don't! They don't have the same look as puck lights, but they don't have a bright white glow that I associate with LED. 

These lights make it SO much easier to read recipes and work on our counter top! It wasn't super dark before, but the one corner got pretty dim at night. I'm a big fan of accent lighting, so this is perfect for me!!  
When it was all done I told Ryan it looked like a professional did it and without missing a beat he replied "a professional did do it."

Right. You're the best honey!

Materials Used: 
1) Subway tile: 12-in x 12-in Daltile Briton Bone {cut in half} - Home Depot
2) Accent tile: 12-in x12-in Java Mixed Material Mosaic Square Wall Tile {cut into strips} - Lowes
3) Bronze metal tile liner: 1/2-in x 6-in Bronze Metal Tile Liner - Lowes

 photo erinsignatureaqua_web1_zps89bdee36.png

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...