Tuesday, January 8, 2013

the night ryan scared me to death

The day after Christmas it snowed the entire day -- it was lovely and beautiful :) 

I just stayed home the whole day and played around with all my fun new presents. 

As it got closer to the time Ryan had to leave work and travel home, I started to get nervous. His Corolla doesn't do great in the snow, but he's driven in much worse before and has gotten home okay. 

I was so relieved to see his headlights come down our road and what I thought was into our garage. The TV was up kind of loud, so I wasn't positive I heard the garage door open, but when Phinley ran to the mudroom door I knew Ryan had gotten home okay. I didn't realize how worried I was until I knew he was home safe. Relief

So I waited for him to come in. And waited. And waited. And waited. It was at least 5 minutes. 

I thought maybe he was still in his car, just finishing up a phone call or something, so I opened the mudroom door to peek out.

When I opened the door his headlights were on and his radio was blaring. After shielding my eyes from the lights I saw him sitting behind the wheel with his head back on the headrest, eyes closed, and mouth open.

He's very fair skinned so he looked almost dead. 

It was horrifying

I couldn't tell if the car was still on because the radio was SO loud and even though I could see the garage door was up, my mind had a thousand thoughts in that very instant...

Carbon monoxide poisoning.
Heart attack.
Can I pull him out of the car alone?
Is there room to open the door and get him out??  It's so close to the wall!
How do I preform CPR?
Will I break ribs if I push down on his chest?
Where's my phone?
Ohmygoodness.

Isn't it crazy how you can think so many things in an instant? All terrible things too.

I started screaming his name and nothing.

Then I ran to the passenger door, flung it open, and started shaking his arm and screaming his name. The darn radio was SO loud I wasn't sure if he could even hear me, so I turned it off and then....

He slowly opened his eyes and said "oh, I must have fallen asleep."

I started sobbing. Between the worry I had from his drive and then THAT I was beside myself.

He apparently pulled in the garage. Turned the car off. Put his head back and instantly fell asleep -- with the radio blaring and headlights still on.

Seriously?

So not funny. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...